409 refugees have died in Mediterranean in 2016
GENEVA — The International Organization for Migration says 409 people have died this year trying to cross the Mediterranean Sea, and refugee crossings in the first six weeks of 2016 are running at nearly 10 times the rate of the same period last year.
Police spokesman Lars Bystrom says various weapons were found in cars during the arrests on Monday evening in Nynashamn, 35 miles south of Stockholm, but they didn’t include firearms.
The arrests come amid increasing opposition to refugees and reports of attacks against refugee centers in the Scandinavian country, which has been a top European destination with 163,000 arrivals last year.