Government 'Not Ruling Anything Out' When It Comes To Removing Andrew From Succession Line
A cabinet minister has promised the government is “not ruling anything out” when it comes to the possibility of removing Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from the line of succession.
The former prince was already stripped of his titles last autumn over his connection to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Fresh details about their relationship saw police arrest Andrew, formerly a UK trade envoy, over allegations of misconduct in public office on Thursday.
He was released under investigation. The former Duke of York has always vehemently denied any wrongdoing.
The developments have sparked widespread calls for the government to take further action against the former prince, who remains eighth in line to the throne.
Doing so would require an act of parliament, meaning it would need approval from MPs and peers before going to the King for royal assent.
It would need to be supported by 14 Commonwealth countries where King Charles is still the head of state, too.
Andrew is also still part of the Privy Council, a formal body of advisers to the monarch, which acts as a key link between the monarchy and the government.
So Sky News presenter Trevor Phillips asked education secretary Bridget Phillipson: “When can we expect to see draft legislation, excluding the form of Prince Andrew from the line of succession?”
She replied: “So we’re not ruling anything out, around this, but we have obviously got a live police investigation underway, so we’ll not be setting out further steps until the police have been able to do their work.
“And wherever that investigation, wherever the evidence takes them.”
Phillips said: “But so you’re up for this and also presumably advising the King to remove him from the Privy Council?”
“So we’ve said that we have to keep all of these options available to us,” the cabinet minister replied. “But you’ll appreciate that because we have a live police investigation underway.
“It’s right that the police are allowed to do their job.
“Once that is concluded, then of course we’ll consider in discussion, with the royal family, with the King, what further action is needed.
“But I do just think as well, in all of this, we really shouldn’t lose sight of where this began.
“And where this began was with young women and girls being exploited over an extended period of time by a network of very powerful men and we can’t ever forget that.”
Her remarks come after defence minister Luke Pollard told BBC Radio 4 that the government has “absolutely” been working with Buckingham Palace to stop Andrew “potentially being a heartbeat away from the throne.”
He said he hoped the idea would receive “cross party support” but warned that something like that could only happen when the police investigation concludes.
Lib Dem leader Ed Davey said last week that the monarchy must work to make sure Andrew can “never become king”, while Green leader Zack Polanski said “when necessary” people should be “removed” from their positions.
Andrew was detained for 11 hours on Thursday, which was his 66th birthday.
Police searched his property on the Sandringham estate on the day and are in the middle of a five-day search of his Windsor home, Royal Lodge.
Several other police forces are allegedly considering launching an investigation into the former prince based on the Epstein files.
It comes after the US Department of Justice released more than three million documents about Epstein and his connections around the world last month, including his contact with Andrew.