Добавить новость
News in English


Новости сегодня

Новости от TheMoneytizer

Santa Cruz wharf reopens after partial collapse

Santa Cruz’s beloved wharf reopened to the public Saturday, after about 150 feet of the pier’s end fell into the ocean last month and prompted the city to temporarily close the popular tourist destination.

The wharf was deemed safe to reopen based on a recently completed sonar and engineering assessment conducted by engineering firm Moffatt and Nichol, according to the city. A sonar scan of the sea floor revealed that heavy construction equipment — including a skid steer and crane — which fell in the ocean, along with the wharf’s south end, are at a safe distance from the structure and do not pose a risk.

“We want to let the community know, and people all over Norther California know, that it is safe to come to our wharf,” Santa Cruz Mayor Fred Keeley said during Saturday morning’s reopening ceremony on the Wharf Stage.

In celebration of the reopening, parking for the first two hours on the wharf will be free for the month.

Councilmember Scott Newsome, who represents the wharf area, said he appreciated how the Santa Cruz community supported one another after the Dec. 23 destruction.

“Our city and our community quickly rallied around the wharf and its business and the workers, showing the caring, resilience and close-knit nature that is the defining strength of our community,” he said.

On Dec. 23, the wharf was hit by powerful waves and its south end, which included The Dolphin Restaurant and a restroom, broke off and fell into the choppy ocean waves. Three construction workers, including a city employee and two contractors, plunged into the water and had to be rescued.

The restaurant section had already been closed off to the public for nearly a year, after it was damaged in previous back-to-back storms. The city had been in the midst of a $4 million repair project to that section when the collapse happened.

In a recent news conference, Keeley said it would be “irresponsible” for the city to rebuild the portion without having serious discussions first about whether the structure can withstand strong storms and turbulent waves, which are expected to be more frequent in the coming years.

The 110-year-old, 2,745-foot wharf is said to be the longest fully wooden wharf in the Western Hemisphere. The pier is an economic driver for Santa Cruz, drawing two millions visitor each year, while the wharf’s 20 restaurants and shops employ around 400 people, according to the city.

Читайте на сайте


Smi24.net — ежеминутные новости с ежедневным архивом. Только у нас — все главные новости дня без политической цензуры. Абсолютно все точки зрения, трезвая аналитика, цивилизованные споры и обсуждения без взаимных обвинений и оскорблений. Помните, что не у всех точка зрения совпадает с Вашей. Уважайте мнение других, даже если Вы отстаиваете свой взгляд и свою позицию. Мы не навязываем Вам своё видение, мы даём Вам срез событий дня без цензуры и без купюр. Новости, какие они есть —онлайн с поминутным архивом по всем городам и регионам России, Украины, Белоруссии и Абхазии. Smi24.net — живые новости в живом эфире! Быстрый поиск от Smi24.net — это не только возможность первым узнать, но и преимущество сообщить срочные новости мгновенно на любом языке мира и быть услышанным тут же. В любую минуту Вы можете добавить свою новость - здесь.




Новости от наших партнёров в Вашем городе

Ria.city
Музыкальные новости
Новости России
Экология в России и мире
Спорт в России и мире
Moscow.media










Топ новостей на этот час

Rss.plus